S3 3 ECTS 24h OPT firstname.lastname@example.org
Nurse rostering is a complex scheduling problem that affects hospital personnel on a daily basis all over the world 1. You will be provided the following information :
- A decision-maker who is grappling with nurse rostering problem that needs solving.
- A description of the problem context.
- A formal problem specification.
- Supporting data and past timetables.
- Light software specifications.
You will apply theoretical concepts and software development process in a real world situation. Hopefully, the problem specification remains accessible and the problem instances remain small so that it is solvable with respect to time constraints of the course.
You will be developing more skills in:
- Problem solving
- literature review
- Using analytical tools, both quantitative and qualitative
- Decision making in complex situations
- Coping with ambiguities
- Learning how to apply optimization methods in similar situations
More precisely, you will discover new techniques or strengthen your knowledge in:
- Nurse rostering problems
- Integer programming and constraint programming
- Local search and metaheuristics
- Multicriteria decision-making Note that there is no prerequisite and that we will choose methods and techniques according to your will and skills. We will study several articles cited in the survey 1.
The teacher and all students will act as a team. We will define several work packages that will be assigned to groups of students. Your grades will depend on the realization of the work packages.